Food Service Goes Green: Put Some Greens On Your Plate
It’s no secret that the foodservice industry is one of the biggest contributors to environmental waste. But with the rise in awareness of climate change and its effects on our planet, more and more foodservice operators are looking for ways to reduce their impact.
One way to do this is by making the switch from traditional plastic tableware to eco-friendly alternatives like biodegradable tableware. In this blog post, we’ll take a look at some of the reasons why biodegradable tableware is a better choice than plastic, as well as highlight one of the best eco-friendly cutlery options available on the market today.
The Dangers of Plastic Cutlery
One of the biggest reasons to make the switch to biodegradable tableware is the negative environmental impact of plastic. Plastic is made from petroleum, a non-renewable resource, and it takes hundreds of years for plastic to decompose in landfills. In addition to its harmful effects on the environment, plastic is also a health hazard. It can release toxins into the air and water, and it has been linked to cancer and other health problems.
Why is Eco-Friendly Tableware a Better Alternative to Plastic Tableware?
There are many reasons why eco-friendly tableware is a better alternative to plastic tableware. Here are just a few…
- Eco-friendly tableware is made of materials that are biodegradable and compostable. This means that, unlike plastic, they will break down into the soil and return to nature, without leaving any harmful toxins behind. This natural composition actually serves to nurture the soil and promote plant growth, making it an even more sustainable option.
- Eco-friendly tableware is often made from recycled materials. This means that not only does it reduce waste and help preserve our natural resources, but it also cuts down on energy usage and greenhouse gas emissions associated with manufacturing new products from scratch.
- Eco-friendly tableware is often made of plant materials such as bamboo, sugarcane, or cornstarch. These materials are sustainable, meaning they can be grown and harvested without damaging the environment. The manufacturing process also uses sustainable practices that lessen the usual negative effects on the planet.
- Eco-friendly tableware is lightweight and easy to transport, which reduces the environmental impact of shipping.
- Eco-friendly tableware can be recycled or reused if it does not biodegrade.
Eco-Friendly Alternatives to Plastic Cutlery
There are a number of eco-friendly alternatives to plastic cutlery on the market today. One of our favorites is CPLA cutlery. CPLA stands for Crystalized Polylactic Acid which is a biopolymer created from dextrose, a type of sugar, which is separated from other biobased materials.
CPLA is an eco-friendly alternative to plastic due to its ability to regrow the feedstock in a much quicker timeframe than traditional petroleum-based plastics using sustainable farming methods. The methods used reduce greenhouse gases by up to 80% and use 52% less non-renewable energy than that of its plastic counterparts.
Surprisingly, CPLA feels like traditional plastic too, making it a favorite of many customers.
So with all these benefits why not make the decision to go green by ditching those disposable plastic plates and switching to eco-friendly alternatives? Not only will you be doing your part for the environment, but you’ll also be helping to promote sustainable practices to those around you. Using eco-friendly tableware is a simple way to make a big difference and is a great way to show that you care about the planet!
For more information on sustainable and eco-friendly tableware, visit our website or call us today. We would be happy to answer any of your questions!